15 Practical Home Protection Tips Against Pests
Prevention is always better than cure, and it is the same in the case of pests. Below are some essential pest prevention tips.
- Clean your floors regularly. For best results, vacuum or sweep to get rid of the food and residue that usually attract pests.
- Do not leave dishes unwashed after use. Always wipe down the sink.
- Clear drains that appear to move slowly. Water is known to draw pests indoors, so fixing and preventing blocked drains is important to do.
- Residues may attract bugs. Always wipe residues on the outside of your food containers, including butter, peanut, oil, and honey containers.
- Store your foods and food items only in tightly-sealed containers, especially flours, sugars, bulk mixes, and other dry foods. This is the only way to prevent pest infestations.
- Do not eat or keep spoilt vegetables or fruits. The over-ripe fresh foods are known to invite fruit flies, ants, and similar pets.
- Always keep a lid on your trash. This ensures that the foul smell does not escape while keeping pests away. Use only bins and buckets with lids as your garbage and recycling containers.
- Never leave your garbage and recycling containers unkempt. Wash down the outsides and insides regularly.
- Trim the foliage around your property regularly. This includes bushes, shrubs, flowerbeds, and trees, especially when they touch your home. Overgrown foliage facilitates the infestation of pests into your home.
- Do not leave your floor drains, ducts, windows, and vents uncovered. They serve as homes or entry points to pests when left open. Screens come handy in covering them.
- Clean up any timber in your yard that can attract termites.
- Don’t install irrigation pipes around your home. Termites prefer damp soil.
- Take care of any water leaks around the home and ensure good drainage. Check for a leaking hot water system or garden taps.
- Clean up any kids toys which can become home to spiders and other creepy critters.
- Finally, when fighting termites, nothing beats a year-round termite protection and control program. Bring in a professional termite controller to put one in place for you.